03 March 2010

Starving Artist


Roughly two weeks ago my dad and I went to Starving Artist (584 Lansdowne Ave, just north of Bloor). Their claim to fame is making sandwiches using waffles instead of bread. My dad had the smoked salmon waffle sandwich, and I had the cheese and chive waffle plate with salsa, sour cream, and fruit salad. They mixed the cheese and chives into the actual waffle batter before it was cooked and it was much better than I was expecting (and I was expecting great things). It's a really fun menu, and a good alternative to pub food, nachos, or regular sandwiches. It's also a bar. It's inspired me to try adding savoury ingredients into my pancakes. I figure a sharp cheese and maybe rosemary would be good. The plates were roughly $10 or there abouts. They make excellent coffee as well, and have live soul and jazz nights often.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I really want to try this place now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I'm really hoping all you chillins will take me on a food tour of your more favourable places in TO when I move back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savoury pancakes are a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I been to this place a couple of times, they are awesome! Food is great, company is so down to earth - feel like you're walking into an artsy version of Cheers!

    ReplyDelete