05 January 2010

Tomato Sauce

This is the best tomato sauce recipe. Every bite is a taste explosion. I've been eating this at least once a week since Ms P. Clark taught me. She learned it here.

1. Cut an onion in half, put both halves in a fairly big, wide pot with about 60 ml of butter, and sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add a can of peeled (or diced) tomatoes (La Torrente peeled plum are the best I've tried) and two or three diced garlic cloves, then cook for about 50 minutes. If canned tomatoes don't include salt, add a big pinch (about 1/2 tsp per 500g can).
3. It's done when most of the water has evaporated from the sauce and you are left with ridiculously flavourful bits of tomatoes (assuming you've salted it properly; if not, salt to taste). Just remove the onions (their flavour has now been absorbed by the sauce) and put it in your pasta.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I wish I were eating that instead of this dry, sloppy, dirty burrito I have.

    But readers should note that the true recipe doesn't use garlic, and I personally vastly prefer it without. Alexander is a brat, though, and always puts it anyway.

    Also you MUST use true butter- no oily hydrogenated Becel bullshit. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, when you saute the onion, do you stir it or just let it sit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just let it sit for a very brief time before throwing the tomatoes in. As they cook, the onion cooks with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make this tonight and report back. I only have a can of whole tomatoes though... And garlic powder, not the real thing

    ReplyDelete